Saturday 17 December 2011

Christmas Chutney. Foodie.

So with Christmas fast approaching I decided it was a good idea about 3 months ago to make a some chutney and jam's for people's Christmas presents. The idea was based around trying to save some money too and it means that all of my nearest and dearest get something special this year. 

After buying everything it turned out it wasn't all that cheap at all, but it was lots of fun to make. 
I decided to make a caramelised onion chutney and a tomato chilli jam. They're pretty safe options and I figured everyone has a cheese board or a bit of a buffet over Christmas so it'd work for everyone. 


The worst part of this was the onion chopping, I was crying so hard and it just seemed to be going on forever. If you were going to do this I would recommend getting a helper as for my jars I needed 6kg of onions so it was alot of chopping and crying to achieve this. 

The recipe's were: 
Carmalised Onion Chutney - 
Paprika 
Crushed Chillies 
Onions
Balsamic Vinegar 
Red Wine Vinegar 
Brown Sugar 

Tomato Chilli Jam - 
Tomato's 
Garlic 
Ginger 
Worcester Sauce 
Red Wine Vinegar
 Brown Sugar
Fresh Red Chillies 


It takes ages for them to simmer away and just thicken up and you need to take the 'scum' from the top of the tomato jam as it gives you a clearer overall jam at the end. 


I bought the cute little hexagon glass jars to put mine in they are all 8oz and have little gold lids. They weren't that expensive and are available on eBay from various different sellers. 


How cute is this little duo chutney gift? They taste amazing - the jam is seriously spicy but that is my personal taste - the hotter the better! However I think with cheese and bread it won't be so bad. 

I have some little red bags to put them in and they will all be wrapped with gold ribbon. They are also being used for secret Santa and those times when the person you forget comes round and brings a gift you weren't expecting! This way I have some back ups and if I don't give them away I will be gobbling them up myself :) 


SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig